Wednesday 5 February 2020

Meet Koffie Cat (Part 2)

Hell-ooo!
Welcome to the second part of my baby-step tutorials understanding Grease Pencil in Blender! I'll explain all the setup I needed to make sketches and keyframes. I'm not a Blender native, I used to work using other 2D drawing or animation softwares (and papers!) so, there would be a looot of miss-clicks, miss-understanding of the tools or settings, miss-named, miss-scrolls, or any other unexpected things.

Let's take a look at the four items I needed in order to sketch something in Grease Blender.

First, is the white-screwdriver-and-wrench or "Active Tools and Workspace Setting". All I could see is just 'Drawing Tools Options' as I wrote in previous post. Maybe there are other settings that I could pick or use from this tab in different Blender mode but, I would go with the first priority in mind: sketch.

Oof! Pencils! And pens!
I could pick the tools I'd like to use as well as its opacity and thickness. I used F Pencil as sketch and decided to use F Ink Pen as clean ups. Pretty handy and there are other settings below that I could scroll down then leave them as it was since I couldn't comprehend them at all. LOL.

Next item is the green-rope or "Object Data Properties". I could see layers I've been working on.

Pretty much comprehensible :)

I would now have two layers by default: 'Fills' and 'Lines'. I already renamed the 'Lines' into 'sketch' by double-clicking the layer's name and changed it. There is blending options, opacity, onion skins, visibility, etc that I could browse through quite easily.

Third item is the red-ball or "Material Properties". I'd have four initial colours: black, red, gray, and black dots. Each of them counts as 'material', which  I could change the 'Surface' setup. I could see 'Stroke' which stands for the line or outline and 'Fill' which stands for the filling for each stroke.


Colour settings

Those default colours have different Stroke and Fills setup. I think this is how a new Grease user learns how to set their colours to sketch, to clean up, and to paint the object. Things were quite interesting since Blender has different concept to paint. Or so I thought.

Well, I added a new colour and picked blue for my sketch.

Wait... no cats? Where did it go?

The fourth item is the white-printer or "Output Properties". This is where I could setup my address and format for render, scene's duration, resolution, etc.

The default order of your scene

Well then, let's get back to the sketching the keyframes, how do I draw keyframes in Grease Blender? Should I look for it in tutorials? Should I refer to one of great How-to-Blender videos in Youtube? Should I read the Manuals before I sketch something?


Those diamonds are keyframes!

I was too lazy to Google or read Manuals for tutorials. I miss-clicked [Spacebar] while drawing and it turned out, the next miss-drawn was my new keyframe.

Getting hotter

No comments:

Post a Comment